After attempting multiple times I’ve finally come up with a delicious meatballs recipe. These vegan meatballs are so nutritious and packed with proteins and vitamins. There are multiple approaches to make vegan meatballs, you can use legumes as the base such as chickpea, black beans, or lentils, and combine it with a meat substitute such as mushrooms, tofu, or soya meat. I’ve tried out multiple combinations and finally settled with chickpea, mushrooms, and oats as the base for these meatballs.
- 01 cup of finely chopped mushrooms
- 01 cup of boiled chickpea
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped onions
- 01 tsp of salt
- 01 tsp of pepper
- 01 tsp of liquid smoke
- 01 tsp of chili powder or paprika
- 02 tsp is garlic powder
- 02 tsp of onion powder
- 01 tsp of dried basil leaves
- 1/8 cup of fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup of instant oats
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- Oil for frying
Watch the details step by step video below
- Heat up a skillet over medium heat add oil. When oil is heated add chopped onions and sauté for a bit till onions are translucent.
- Add chopped mushrooms, liquid smoke and give it a good mix and cook until mushrooms are tender
- Add the boiled chickpea into food proceeds and pulse few times till it’s slightly mushy.
- Add cooked mushrooms, onions, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, dried basil, fresh oregano, walnuts, and oats and pulse for 30-40 seconds to mix everything evenly.
- Take a small portion from the mixture and form a ball and coat it in a flour mixture – Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Heat up a skillet over medium heat and add oil, when oil is heated place the meatballs and cook until sides are brown. Make sure to flip it to cook the meatball evenly. Alternatively, you can bake or air-fry them.
- Enjoy as it is or serve with some pasta.
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! You can also share your results with me on Instagram with the hashtag #thefoodsnapsrecipes.
Can’t wait to see your re-creations!