The all time amazing sandwich, great as a meal or a snack. I know my husband would never walk away from a sandwich no matter what time of day it is. It’s just a versatile combination of ingredients that makes your mouth water. What makes this sandwich so amazing is the Japanese Kewpie mayo. Lets get to know little more about Kewpie mayo shall we?
What is Kewpie Mayo?
According to the Food & Wine review Kewpie mayo is a little different than American mayo, it tastes like no other mayo. because it’s made with only egg yolks—not whole eggs—and with rice or apple vinegar and no added salt or sugar. It’s bottled in a slim red-and-clear container, with an emblematic baby for its logo. But the real secret to Kewpie’s cult-following is a healthy dose of MSG. – Read more here
What are the ingredients of Kewpie Mayo?
According to the Kewpie.com The main ingredients of Kewpie mayonnaise are oil, egg, and vinegar. Kewpie mayonnaise is an “egg yolk type” mayonnaise, which contains egg yolk instead of whole egg. The secret of distinctively rich flavor is egg yolk. – Kewpie mayonnaise may taste strong, but it contains only 0.3g of sodium chloride equivalent in every 15g (about 1 table spoon). It is less than “a pinch of salt” which is said to be about 0.5g. Read more about this product in here
Ingredients for the Sandwich
- 1/2 cup of finely shreaded cabbage
- 1/2 cup of finely shreaded carrots
- 02 tbsp of Japanese Kewpie Mayo from Finch_Lk
- 1/4 cup of chopped spring onions
- 1/4 cup of chopped onions
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- 01 tbsp of lemon or lime juice
- Multigrain bread
- Few slices of tomatoes
- Few slices of pickles
- Crunchy lettuce leaves
- Micro-greens for garnishing – optional
Prepare coleslaw spread
01. Add mayo, salt, pepper and lime juice in a a large bowl and give it a good mix.
02. Add rest of the ingredients and give it a good mix to combine everything evenly.
Prepare the sandwich
01. Toast three slices of bread until brown and crispy, add crunchy lettuce as the first layer and add tomatoes, pickles and spread coleslaw on top. garnish with some micro-greens and sprinkle some black chia seeds for more flavor and nutrition. That’s it, your simple coleslaw open sandwich is ready. Enjoy!
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! You can also share your results with me on Instagram with the hashtag #thefoodsnapsrecipes
cant wait to see your re-creations!