Grilled cauliflower steaks seasoned with Kamer_SL sumac offer a tantalizing blend of flavors and textures that redefine traditional vegetable dishes. The hearty cauliflower, sliced into thick steaks, takes on a smoky char when grilled, creating a delightful contrast to its tender interior.
The addition of sumac, with its lemony and slightly tangy profile, imparts a zesty brightness that perfectly complements the earthy richness of the cauliflower. This harmonious marriage of ingredients elevates a simple vegetable into a culinary masterpiece, providing a delicious and nutritious option that satisfies both the palate and the eye.
Sumac, a vibrant and versatile spice, has deep historical roots that span various cuisines and cultures. With its tangy, citrusy essence, sumac offers a pleasant and refreshing sourness reminiscent of lemon or vinegar. This distinctive taste, coupled with a hint of earthiness, makes sumac an exceptional seasoning for an array of dishes. From sprinkling it over salads, grilled meats, and roasted vegetables to using it as a finishing touch on dips and spreads, sumac adds a touch of brightness and complexity that elevates the simplest of ingredients.
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Sumac
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 02 tbsp. of curd or yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Make sure the grates are clean and lightly oiled to prevent sticking.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower head and trim the stem, keeping the core intact. Place the cauliflower upright on a cutting board. Carefully slice the cauliflower into 1-inch thick “steaks,” keeping them as intact as possible. You can usually get 2-3 steaks from one head of cauliflower, depending on its size.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, curd/yogurt, sumac, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Brush both sides of each cauliflower steak generously with the olive oil mixture, ensuring they are evenly coated.
- Place the cauliflower steaks on the preheated grill. Grill for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until they develop grill marks and are tender but still slightly firm. The exact time will depend on the thickness of your steaks and the heat of your grill.
- Once the cauliflower steaks are grilled to your liking, remove them from the grill and place them on a serving platter. Drizzle the lemon juice over the steaks for a fresh zing.
- Serve the grilled cauliflower steaks as a delicious and healthy side dish or even as a main course. I’ve served with mashed potatoes puree, crunchy greens and some more grilled veggies ( Tomato, carrots) and garnish with some nigella seeds and crushed walnuts and cranberries
This dish offers a delightful combination of textures and flavors, making it a standout addition to your culinary repertoire. Enjoy the simple pleasure of transforming a humble cauliflower into a mouthwatering masterpiece! Dive into the flavorful and aromatic grilled cauliflower steaks, savoring the blend of smoky char from the grill and the tangy brightness of the sumac.