Tuna puff pastry baskets are delectable savory pastries that combine the flaky, buttery goodness of puff pastry with a flavorful tuna filling.
These delectable handheld treats are made by encasing a mixture of dried tuna, diced vegetables, and seasonings within layers of light and airy puff pastry dough. When baked to golden perfection, they offer a delightful contrast of textures, with the crisp, golden exterior complementing the creamy, savory filling. Tuna puff pastry baskets are not only easy to make but also versatile, making them a popular choice for appetizers, snacks, or even a light meal. Whether served at parties or enjoyed as a quick bite, these tuna baskets are a crowd-pleaser that satisfies both the taste buds and the craving for comfort food
Dried tuna, also known as tuna flakes or bonito flakes, is a versatile ingredient that can add a rich umami flavor to a variety of dishes. Here are some ways you can incorporate dried tuna into your cooking:
- Add a handful of dried tuna flakes to your miso soup for a deeper, savory flavor. Simply sprinkle them into the soup while it’s simmering.
- Mix dried tuna flakes with a bit of soy sauce and mirin, then stuff this mixture inside onagri for a delicious and convenient snack or meal.
- Toss a handful of dried tuna flakes into stir-fried vegetables or noodles to infuse the dish with a unique umami flavor
- Sprinkle dried tuna flakes on top of salads for added depth of flavor and protein
- Incorporate dried tuna flakes as a filling in your sushi rolls, especially in combination with ingredients like avocado, cucumber, or spicy mayo.
- You can use dried tuna flakes as a garnish for pasta dishes, similar to how you might use Parmesan cheese. They work particularly well with seafood pasta recipes
- Use dried tuna flakes as a seasoning for various dishes, such as fried rice, grilled vegetables, or even popcorn. They can add a savory kick without overwhelming the overall flavor.
Remember that dried tuna flakes are potent in flavor, so start with a small amount and adjust to your taste preferences. Proper storage in an airtight container in a cool, dry place will help maintain their freshness and flavor. If you are looking for a place to buy good quality tuna try out Finchfoods
- 1/4 cup of Finchfoods dried tuna
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green peas
- 1/2 cup finely chopped corn
- 1/2 cup finely chopped potatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Puff Pastry Baskets:
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) puff pastry sheets (1 sheets), thawed
- All-purpose flour (for dusting)
For the Egg Wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat up a skillet over medium heat and add oil.
- When oil is heated add the onions and sauté for 20 seconds, Next add in the rest of the vegetables along with the dried tuna and season with salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes in medium heat until vegetables are tender. – Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Roll out one sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut it into circle shapes
- Carefully transfer one set of pastry circle to a baking pan and cut another small circle in the rest of the pastry circles (make a ring) and place the ring on top of the big circle – make sure to brush some egg York
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water to create an egg wash.
- Brush the tops of the pastry baskets with the egg wash for a golden finish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
- Once baked remove them from the oven and allow them to cool down
- Spoon the prepared tuna filling into each puff pastry basket and garnish them with micro greens and edible flowers and enjoy!
These Tuna Puff Pastry Baskets are a delightful and flavorful appetizer or snack that’s perfect for parties or gatherings. Enjoy the delicious combination of flaky pastry and savory tuna filling!