Its that time again for me to share one of my food experiments that came out as intended.
A simple and delicious Purple yam chia pudding recipe that is so easy to make and require only fewer ingredients. You can enjoy this as a breakfast meal, snack or even as a dessert.
Purple yam AKA Greater yam, Water yam, Winged yam and Asiatic yam is a root vegetable which is native to Asian tropics. Its flesh has a bright purple color which is used to make various dishes, such as desserts, porridge, pancakes, or added as a main ingredient in baking.
The very first time I tasted purple yam was 10-15 years ago, when my mom made me a porridge. It was made with boiled purple yam cooked in thick coconut milk and with some seasoning. It was an gastronomical delight, that had me hooked on this vegetable and of course inspired me to create this chia pudding.
- 02-03 tbsp of chia seeds
- 3/4 of thick coconut milk
- 1/4 purple yam puree
- 02 cups of water
- 01 tbsp of bee honey or a sweetener of your choice
- 1 pod of crushed cardamom
- Wash and scrub yams in running water and cut them in to bite sized cubes.
- Add about 02 cups of water in a pot and bring it to boil
- Add about 40g of Purple yam to boiling water and cook for 15-20 minutes until folk tender and soft. Set aside to cool down
- Add cooked purple yam (remove the outer layer), coconut milk and cardamon in to a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a glass jar or a container mix chia seeds, yam puree and sweetener. Give it a good mix to combine everything evenly.
- Refrigerate it for 5-6 hours, make sure you take it out and mix few times
- When the chia pudding is set, you can see that chia seeds have expanded from its original size and have created a jello kind of coat around it.
- Once done you can serve it with your favorite toppings. I’ve just kept it simple by adding some yogurt and granola.
That’s it! Your chia pudding is ready.
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! You can also share your results with me on Instagram with the hashtag #thefoodsnapsrecipes.
Cant wait to see your re-creations!