How about having healthy tortillas for breakfast? With fresh salsa? Mouthwatering isn’t it? I’m super excited to share this simple and healthy breakfast recipe with you today. (Re-posting with some minor twists)
Normally tortillas are made with all-purpose flour or wheat flour but this version of tortillas are made with oats flour. Yes! With oats! (Yes! There are other ways to eat oats other than oatmeal). This is a healthier version, its gluten free and it takes only 10 minutes to make. Without further ado let’s get to the recipe. (Please note that this recipe is only for one serving – 04 medium sized tortillas)
- 1.5 cups of Oats (Ground Oats)
- 0.5 cup of water
- 01 tsp of chia seeds – Buy this ingredient from Bohemean Quest
- 01 tsp of flax seeds – Buy this ingredient from Bohemean Quest
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 02 tablespoon of olive oil (you can use coconut oil as well)
- In a large bowl, combine oats flour (you can use ground oats as well), salt, chia seeds, flax seeds and baking powder. Add water little by little and mix well until the dough comes together. Then add oil and give a good mix to the dough until it becomes smooth.
- Place the dough on a floured work top and knead a few times. Divide the dough into 04 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten each ball into a very thin layer. Then use plate or something as a guide to cut round tortillas.
- Preheat a large skillet or a pan over medium heat cook tortillas for about 2-3 minutes(each side) until golden and bubbly.
- Cut the tortilla in to bite-size pieces so you can enjoy it with salsa.
Now let’s get to the salsa recipe.
I have to say that this was the first time I made salsa at home and I instantly fell in love with it. The juicy tomatoes mixed with cilantro and onion gives an amazing flavor. The best thing about it is, it takes only 5 minutes to make.
- 02 medium sized tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of finely diced onions
- 1/4 cup of finely diced garlic
- 03 table spoons of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon of lime or lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Just combine all the ingredients together in a bowl. If you prefer a smoother texture in your salsa over chunky pieces then you can blend half of your salsa in a food processor then combine it with the remaining.
That’s it folks! Is easy as that.
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! You can also share your results with me on Instagram with the hashtag #thefoodsnapsrecipes.
Cant wait to see your re-creations.