This creamy butternut squash pasta with chicken and spinach dish is something that one just can’t say “no” to.
Butternut squash is one of my favorite vegetables and I’ve tried so many recipes with it… Stuffed butternut squash, smashed butternut squash for my baby, steamed butternut squash with grated coconut and roasted butternut squash, well, the list goes on.
Today’s recipe is creamy butternut squash pasta. The beauty of it is, you do not require any form of cheese as an ingredient yet you will fool in your taste buds once you take a bite into it.
Original recipe credit goes to Lisa Lin. I felt i could change a few ingredients and steps and make it a little more healthy for those counting calories.
- 1.5 tbsp of flour
- 02 tbsp of butter
- 01 cup of milk
- 01 cup butternut squash purée (cooked and mashed)
- 1.5 cups of cooked pasta
- 1/2 cup of minced chicken (cooked)
- 1/2 tsp of finely minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp of finely minced onions
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 cup of chopped spinach
- Basil – for garnishing
01. Make the butternut squash purée, all you have to do is boil some butternut squash, drain out all the water and mash it or add it to the blender and blend till smooth.
02. Lets prepare the white sauce now, heat up a pan using medium heat. Add butter and stir until it melts, be careful not to burn it and adjust the heat as required. Add garlic and onion and cook for about a minute. Then add flour to the pan, toss and stir to prevent any lumps from accumulating.
03. Add milk, salt, pepper and combine everything evenly and let it cook until it becomes a thick sauce. Let the sauce simmer for 2-3 minutes.
04. Add butternut squash purée and mix.
05. Add cooked pasta, minced chicken and spinach and give one good mix. Cover and cook for about another 2-3 minutes along pasta to infuse the essence of the newly added ingredients.
That’s it, garnish as your heart desires and serve warm.
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! You can also share your results with me on Instagram with the hashtag #thefoodsnapsrecipes.
Cant wait to see your re-creations!