Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables, why wouldn’t it be thanks to its versatility and great taste whichever you cook it. You can make soup, gnocchi, buffalo wings, rice, stakes, bites, curry well the list goes on and on. I’ve fallen in love with cauliflower rice and cauliflower bites, but today’s recipe is different. Its Cauliflower Stakes with Finch lemon salt – A perfect vegan substitute for stakes
The best thing about this recipe is it’s very customizable. If you want to add some Indian flavors then you can rub some Masala mix on cauliflower stakes, if you want to make it spicier then add some paprika or sriracha sauce to the mix and cook. In this recipe, I’m trying out a new ingredient, Lemon salt!
Lemon Salt is a mix of lemon zest and sea salt, great for use as a seasoning when cooking veggies or meat, can be sprinkled on fried or grilled food to add that extra lemony-salty flavor or can add to your cocktails too. So without further ado, let’s see what are the ingredients we need to make these lemony – salty cauliflower stakes.
- 01 large cauliflower head
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of Finch lemon salt – Shop Now
- 01 tsp of chili powder/paprika
- 01 tsp of garlic powder – Shop Now
- 01 tsp of onion powder – Shop Now
- 02 – 03 drops of Liquid smoke – Shop Now
- Chopped parsley
- Few stems of roasted kale
- Grilled cherry tomatoes
- Grilled lemon slices
- Remove all the green leaves from the cauliflower head and soak the cauliflower head in a saltwater bowl for 03-05 minutes to help kill germs.
- Wash the cauliflower head in running water.
- Slice the cauliflower into about 01 to 1 1/2 inch stakes making sure the large stem at the bottom is still intact. (Ref the below image)
- Arrange cauliflower stakes on a board and set them aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix olive oil, liquid smoke, chili or paprika powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and lemon salt.
- Apply the mixture on cauliflower stakes making sure all the areas are covered evenly.
- Heat up a grill pan on a low flame and apply some oil on the surface.
- Place the seasoned cauliflower side down on the hot grill pan, cover, and cook for about 06 – 08 minutes. If you prefer you can bake these in the oven at 180c for 20-25 minutes until tender and soft and make sure to flip halfway through.
- Flip the cauliflower stakes, apply the mixture and cook for another 5 minutes until cauliflower is soft and fork-tender.
- Serve with some roasted veggies and with a drizzle of a hot sauce if you prefer. I’ve served mine with roasted kale, tomatoes, lemon and topped with some chopped parsley.
Try this recipe out and let me know how this turns out for you in the comments! You can also share your results with me on Instagram with the hashtag #thefoodsnapsrecipes.
Can’t wait to see your re-creations!