Are you tired of eating rice? Need a healthy substitute? Then I’ve got the perfect recipe for you. Cauliflower Rice (yes! It’s a veggie that you can transform into healthy rice)
Cauliflower is an amazing vegetable that can be cooked in many different ways. You can make it as a curry, you can steam it, fry it and make cauliflower bites, you can make cauliflower gnocchi or my most favorite way, Cauliflower Rice.
Making cauliflower rice is so easy. The beauty of using cauliflower instead of rice is it’s so healthy, it’s a low-carb food, it’s vegan and it takes only few minutes to cook.
Cauliflower is likely the greatest low-carb vegetable ever. Because of cauliflower has very low carbohydrates value it’s been recommended in many diet types such as Keto diet, Mediterranean diet, and candida diet.Did you know that 100g of cauliflower contains only 5g of carbohydrates?
What are the nutritional benefits of Cauliflower ?
Based on the analysis done by Web-MD 100g of chopped cauliflower contains:
- 25 calories
- 05 grams of carbohydrates
- 02 grams of dietary fiber
- 02 grams of sugar
- 02 grams of protein
As for vitamins and nutrients, one serving of cauliflower has:
- 100% of the daily recommended amount of vitamin C
- About a quarter of your daily vitamin K
- 2% of your daily calcium and iron
- 6% of your daily potassium
- More than 3 % of your daily magnesium
What are the nutritional facts of Cauliflower
From the information gathered from Your-Calories below table shows the nutritional facts of 100g of raw cauliflower.
Let’s talk about the ingredients first shall we? Here I serve cauliflower rice with sauteed veggies and edamame beans and some herbs. But you can go with any veggie or curry you have at home. (Please note that this recipe is only for one serving) How to make the Cauliflower Rice
- 02 cups of grated Cauliflower
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Pepper
- 1/2 cup of Bell pepper (yellow and red)
- 1/2 cup of Broccoli
- 01 tablespoon of chopped Onions
- 02 tablespoons of Olive oil
- 1/4 cup of Edamame beans (boiled)
- 1/4 teaspoon of Black sesame seeds
- 01 teaspoon of garlic
- 1/4 cup of Corn
- Fresh Cilantro leaves
There are two different ways that you can turn cauliflower head into rice.
- Use a food processor to blitz it into small pieces
- Use a grater to grate it
You can use either way but I find the grater very easy.
- First cut the cauliflower head into small size chunks and wash thoroughly. (it’s better to soak the cauliflower chunks in salt water for about 5-10 minutes)
- Then using a grater grate the cauliflower chunks.(Pictured below)
- Next heat up a large skillet or a wok in a medium heat and add olive oil. (You can use coconut oil as well). Then add cauliflower, salt, pepper and cook for about 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally. Once you grate it you have to get rid of the excess moisture in it or else you won’t be able to get the best texture. To do that you can simply transfer cauliflower rice to a kitchen towel or a paper towel and press and squeeze the water out of it.
That’s it. Your cauliflower rice is done. If you want to turn this into cauliflower fried rice then you can add some corn, green peas, chopped carrots, edamame beans, spring onions and cook along with the cauliflower rice.
To saute veggies all you have to do its heat up a medium sized skillet or a wok and add some olive oil. Once the oil it heated add garlic and your veggies. (I’ve added red and yellow bell pepper, corn, onions and broccoli). Cook your veggies for about 2-3 minutes while stirring time to time. Add some salt, pepper and soy sauce(optional) and cook until veggies are soft and tender.
Plate your cauliflower in a nice rice bowl or a plate and add sauteed veggies, boiled edamame beans, herbs(I’ve used cilantro) and sprinkle some black sesame seeds for garnishing.
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! You can also share your results with me on Instagram with the hashtag #thefoodsnapsrecipes. Cant wait to see your re-creations.
Leave A Comment