The typical waffle recipe is founded on wheat flour, I wanted to find an alternative and ensure I remain on my low-carb diet. I’ve tried many combinations to make the perfect waffles without compromising the flavor and the texture and I’m happy to say that we have a winner. The replacement ingredient is coconut flour, being gluten-free, low carb, and keto-friendly, and vegetarian, it’s managed to tick off all the right boxes.
I’ve been on a rollercoaster with Coconut flour, little experiments to find that sweet spot and understand what this ingredient is capable of. When you are making recipes using coconut flour you need a binding agent since the gluten-free nature gives it, its own unique consistency. Psyllium husk is the weapon of choice. When psyllium husk is mixed with water it absorbs all the moisture and becomes like a thick gel which makes it ideal for use as a binding agent when making baked food with nut flour or gluten-free flour.
To make these simple keto waffles all you need is coconut flour, psyllium husk, and a few other basic ingredients but I have to say, unlike other waffles, these Keto coconut flour waffles have a very unique texture and flavor, it’s soft and has a cakey texture.
- 1/2 cup of Finch coconut flour – Shop Now
- 03 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 01 tsp of vanilla essence
- 01 tbsp of Finch psyllium husk – Shop Now
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 tsp of salt – adjust to your preference
- 02 tbsp of liquid sweetener – adjust to your preference
- 01 tsp of Finch cinnamon powder- Shop Now
- 01 pod of cardamom – crushed
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Serves: 04 waffles
- Whisk 03 eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add milk, vanilla essence, and sweetener and whisk well to combine everything evenly.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Mix both dry and wet ingredients together, whisk together till you get a smooth batter. Let the batter rest for 05-07 minutes.
- Heat your waffle maker and apply butter or cooking oil.
- Pour 1/4 cups of batter into the waffle maker and cook for 07-12 minutes till the top is golden and crispy.
- Transfer the cooked waffles onto a plate and continue making waffles with the rest of the batter.
- Plate the waffles, add your favorite toppings and serve. I’ve used blueberries and honey to serve mine.
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! You can also share your results with me on Instagram with the hashtag #thefoodsnapsrecipes.
Can’t wait to see your re-creations