Are you following the Keto diet and looking for easy low-carb recipes? This Keto coconut flour and psyllium husks flatbread recipe is just what you need. It’s so amazing how easy this flatbread recipe is, you only require a handful of ingredients and you get yourself a healthy, gluten-free, and vegan homemade flatbread.
Psyllium husk is a new ingredient to me, I got to know about this amazing ingredient when I was doing a recipe with coconut flour. When you are making recipes with coconut flour you need a binding agent as it’s gluten-free and has its own unique consistency and the most commonly used binding agent that works is psyllium husks. When psyllium husk is mixed with water it absorbs all the moisture and becomes like a thick gel so this can be used as a binding agent when making baked food with nut flour to gluten-free flour.
This keto flatbread has a very unique flavor and consistency compared to other regular flatbreads. It’s so soft and bendy similar to Naan and you can serve it with any toppings you like, but I would recommend a nice thick curry-like cauliflower masala or spicy dhal curry.
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour – Shop Now
- 02 tbsp of psyllium husks – whole – Shop Now
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 – 01 tsp of salt – adjust to your preference
- 01 tbsp of coconut butter – any plant-based butter or oil
- 01 cup of hot water
- 01 tsp of garlic powder
- 01 tsp of onion powder
Additionally, you can add finely chopped/grated vegetables or herbs like carrots, garlic, cabbage, coriander, and parsley to add more flavor and texture.
Prep time – 20 minutes Cooking time – 15 minutes Serves – 04 flatbreads
- Make sure you stiff the flour using a strainer to avoid any lumps and to get a firm dough.
- It is really important to rest the dough once mixed s it takes little time for the phylum husk to activate.
- When oiling the pan before cooking flatbread make sure that there are no oil drops left on the pan, otherwise the flatbread will have a tendency to get fried.
- Do not cook the flatbread in high heat as it will burn the outer layer and will not cook the flatbread throughout.
- Add coconut flour, psyllium husks, baking powder, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and butter to a medium-sized bowl and mix well combining everything evenly.
- Then add hot water little by little and mix using a spatula until a firm wet sand-like consistency (ref image). You might be a little confused about how the dough looks right now but don’t be, psyllium husks need little time to activate so start kneading the dough for 03 – 05 minutes until it has the elasticky consistency and doesn’t fall apart. You can also apply some butter or oil to your hand if the dough is a little sticky.
- Keep the dough to rest for 05 – 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 04 balls
- Take each piece of dough and roll it out in between parchment paper or lunch sheet to your desired size. You can have either very thin or thick flatbreads depending on how you going to serve them.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet in medium heat and apply a bit of butter or oil, and cook the flatbread for 04-05 minutes on each side until golden brown. (Covered)
- Serve it warm with a thick and creamy curry or you can top it off with your favorite toppings and serve as tortillas or wraps.