Yellow sweet potatoes are always on our shopping list, I always look for the yellow ones because it’s got more nutrition and packs a flavorful punch, and have a better texture.
I love yellow sweet potato because of its versatility and how quickly you can turn it into a simple healthy recipe, such as sweet potato soup, gnocchi, baked potatoes, fries but the list doesn’t end there. It’s also a healthy carb that you can add to your diet as it contains antioxidants and is also rich in vitamin B, C, D.
The recipe that I’m sharing today is a simple flatbread made with mashed yellow sweet potatoes, all-purpose flour, and Finch extra virgin coconut oil mixed with few basic ingredients required for making flatbread. When using coconut oil in cooking you need to make sure that you use the best otherwise the whole taste of the dish could go wrong or coconutty. Hahaha, right I’ll show myself out.
I remember having a very bad experience at frying something with some local coconut oil brand, resulting in a very smelly and not-so-appetizing dish. So good oil is key, people! This is why I always go for Finch extra virgin coconut oil.
- 01 cup of boiled yellow sweet potatoes
- 01 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- More flour for dusting – as required
- 01 tsp of salt
- 01 tsp of baking powder
- 02-03 tbsp of Finch extra virgin coconut oil
- Peel off the skin of the boiled sweet potatoes and place them in a bowl.
- Mash the sweet potatoes using a fork or a masher and make sure it’s properly mashed.
- Next, add half of the all-purpose flour, salt, and baking powder then start mixing while gradually adding flour. The mixture will look a bit crumbly at this point.
- Next, add 02 tbsp of Finch coconut oil to the mixture and start kneading it until you get a nice, soft non-sticky dough.
- If the dough is sticky then apply a bit more coconut oil and knead or you can dust a bit more all-purpose flour.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Flour the worktop and place the dough, separate the dough into 06 equal portions.
- Take one portion and place it on the floured worktop and use a rolling pin to roll it out to a round flatbread. You can have 0.5cm to 01cm thickness for each flatbread. Don’t forget to dust the flatbread while rolling to avoid sticking to the rolling pin.
- Next, heat a skillet over medium heat, when the skillet is hot place the flatbread and cook for 02-03 minutes on each side, You’ll know the flatbread is done when you see the brown spots. Please note that the cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the flatbread.
- Place the cooked flatbread on a kitchen towel and repeat for the rest of the flatbreads.
- Once flatbreads are cooled down to room temperature serve with some spicy sauce or green chutney and enjoy!
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! You can also share your results with me on Instagram with the hashtag #thefoodsnapsrecipes.
Can’t wait to see your re-creations!
Leave A Comment