These chocolate crepes are just what you need to satisfy your chocolaty cravings. They are healthy, they are vegan and they are gluten-free.
Crepes are another one of my favorites when it comes to breakfast choices. It easy to make and it requires only a few ingredients and you can stuff it or top it with almost anything that your heart desires. I remember making crepes with my sister when I was a kid. It was the easiest breakfast that we both could make when Mom asks us to make breakfast for the family. The touch of sweetness with a Sri Lanan creep is coconut honey (Pol Pani). For a touch of savory, we prepare a sambal made with curry leaves, coconut with some spicy seasoning. This sambol is great for countering colesterol as curry leaves are packed with health benefits.
I’ve put a spin on an old recipe, making the recipe vegan compatiable. Let’s dive into this yummy breakfast. Ahem, recipe.
- 1/2 cup of ground oats or oats flour
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 01 flax egg
- 1/2 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 01 tbsp of kithul treacle
- 01 tsp of vanilla extract
- Salt to taste
- 01 pod of crushed cardamom – optional
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg powder – optional
- 01 tbsp of coconut butter for cooking – or any plant-based butter
Toppings / Stuffings
- 01 Banana
- 01 Orange
- Few Raspberries
- Mint leaves for garnishing
- Maple syrup / kithul treacle
Prep time – 20 minutes Serving – 03 crepes
- First, let’s mix all the wet ingredients together. In a medium-sized bowl combine milk, flax egg, vanilla, and kithul treacle and whisk well.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the wet ingredients bowl and give it a good mix. The batter should be in pouring consistency.
- If you want to make the batter faster just add all the ingredients into a blender and pulse few times till the batter becomes smooth.
- Let the batter rest for a minute and meanwhile heat up a non-stick pan in medium heat.
- Apply some butter on the pan and pour 1/4 cup of batter, move the pan in a circular motion to spread the batter to make a round crepe.
- Cook for 03-04 mins till you have tiny air bubbles appearing and edges are getting a little crispy. Flip and cook for another 02 – 03 minutes. That’s it! crepes are done.
You can either stuff or top these crepes with some fresh fruits like banana, strawberries, raspberries and serve with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! You can also share your results with me on Instagram with the hashtag #thefoodsnapsrecipes.
Can’t wait to see your re-creations