I’m sure today’s recipe topic might have gotten you little confused but yeah, vegan omelette does exist. In other words, you can make an omelette without breaking any eggs.
I often use oats flour or whole wheat flour for most of the flour based recipes because it’s gluten free and healthy. But I wanted to expend my horizons and try out a new ingredient for my recipes so I went ahead a bought a chickpea flour pack.
So far I’ve tried couple of recipes with chickpea flour, chickpea flour waffles (will be uploaded soon), chickpea flour pizza, chickpea flour crepes which didn’t come out quite as expected but that led me to this creation – I guess there’s a silver lining after all
The chickpea flour crepes didn’t come out as expected, it was too thick and I didn’t like the taste of it. It tasted like something made with eggs which gave me the idea 💡 why not try making a vegan omelette. It had the taste, the color, the texture and the consistency! Bingo! Ladies and gentleducks I present to you the Chickpea flour omelette!
I went ahead and did some Google search to see if anyone ever tried it and guess what, there were lot of chickpea flour omelette recipes. Without confining myself to the existing recipes I went ahead creating my own twist.
So here’s what you need to make Chickpea flour omelette
- 1/2 cup of chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder or finely chopped onions
- 1/2 tsp of chili flakes (if you need it spicy)
- Oil for frying
- 1/4 cup of bell pepper – red and green
- 1/4 cup of cooked corn
- Few slices of jalapeño
- Few slices of olives
- 1-2 slices of cherry tomorrow
- Few chopped spring onion leaves
- 01 small chopped onion
- Vegan cheese – optional
- Herbs – you can use any herb you prefer
- Add all the ingredients in medium sized bow and whisk well making sure that there are no lumps.
- Heat up a skillet and add some oil.
- Pour the chickpea flour batter into the heated skillet and cook for about 05-06 minutes.
- Flip the omelette and start adding your veggies in the middle.
- Fold the corners to the middle and gently press down with the spatula. ( pictured above)
- Add cheese, seasoning, spring onions on top, corner and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer the omelette to a plate and top it with some more cheese, hot sauce, herbs and sprinkle some chili flakes or pepper if you wish to make it more spicier and dig in!
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! You can also share your results with me on Instagram with the hashtag #thefoodsnapsrecipes.
Cant wait to see your re-creations!