Tired of eating rice and curry for lunch and looking for a healthy alternative? This sauteed kale, zucchini and quinoa lunch bowl recipe is just what you need.
Since the day that I got my hands on kale I’ve been trying out many kale recipes. I’ve tried kale smoothie, kale soup, kale salad and today’s recipe sauteed kale.
Kale is one of the healthiest and most nutritious green that you could ever find. It’s high in antioxidants, consist vitamin A, C, K and B6. When this amazing green get paired with sauteed zucchini and cooked red quinoa you get yourself a healthy and wholesome lunch bowl. So without further ado let’s get to the recipe.
- 1/2 cup of kale
- 3/4 cup of black quinoa – Buy this Ingredient from Bohemean Quest
- 1/2 cup of zucchini (I’ve used both green and yellow)
- 1/4 tsp of minced onion
- 1/4 tsp of minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp of minced ginger
- 1/4 tsp of chopped green or red chili
- 1/4 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of spring onions
- 02 tbsp of olive oil
- 01 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- Coriander leaves / fennel / pumpkin seeds / lime slices for garnishing – optional
- First, rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve until water runs clear. Rinsing quinoa removes its natural coating, which when cooked can make the quinoa bitter.
- When cooking the quinoa to water ratio is really important to get the best texture. Quinoa to water ratio is 1:2. For this recipe I’m using 3/4 cup of quinoa so I’m adding 1.5 cups of water to cook.
- Cover and cook in low flame for about 10-15 minutes until it’s tender and fluffy. Set aside off the heat for few minutes to cool down. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Heat up a large skillet or a wok in a medium heat and add olive oil. (You can use coconut oil as well). Then add onions, garlic, ginger and cook it for about 1-2 mins.
- Then add chopped zucchini, kale, tomatoes, chili, salt, pepper and soy sauce and give it a good mix. Cover and cook for about 03-04 minutes.(When chopping zucchini make sure to chop them into small pieces so you don’t have to spend more time cooking).
- Finally add cooked quinoa and spring onions, give a final mix and cover the lid and cook in low flame for 05 more minutes.
- Serve in a lunch bowl or in a plate, garnish with your favorite herbs, sprinkle some nuts or seeds if you wish and enjoy!
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! you can also share your results with me on Instagram with the hashtag #Thefoodsnapsrecipes.
Can’t wait to see your re-creations! 🙂